Taxes & Age Restrictions
We are incorporated in the State of New Jersey. Accordingly, Cigar Manor collects New Jersey sales and exercise tax all orders shipped to our customers within the state. Tax's to be paid on all shipped outside of the State of New Jersey is the responsibility of our customer.
Cigar Manor is a licensed tobacconist in New Jersey. Accordingly, Cigar Manor collects New Jersey tobacco tax from the purchaser. For all sales outside of New Jersey, it is the responsibility of the purchaser to remit the appropriate sales and excise tax to their local taxing authority.
If you would like more information regarding online sales tax, we advise our customers to contact your local state department that regulates sales tax (or consult a tax attorney where appropriate).
State and local governments restrict the sale of cigars based on the purchaser’s age. Although the age requirements vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, the restrictions range from age eighteen (18) to age twenty-one (21).
Cigar Manor has contracted with Veritad Technologies, LLC (“Veritad”), for age- and identity-verification services. Veritad will verify a purchaser’s age and identity by comparing the purchaser’s self-reported age and identity against a database of government records. Cigar Manor will use this information to confirm that the purchaser is the legal age in his or her state to buy cigars.
If Cigar Manor cannot verify the purchaser’s age or identity through Veritad, Cigar Manor reserves the right to refuse to sell cigars to that individual. Alternatively, Cigar Manor reserves the right to require the purchaser to provide:
- A copy of valid government-issued identification, and
- A statement signed under penalty of perjury that the purchaser is the minimum age to purchase cigars in that state.
Other states require cigar retailers to obtain a copy of a valid form of government identification, showing the purchaser’s date of birth to verify the purchaser is the legal minimum age to purchase cigars, and an attestation from the purchaser certifying:
- That the information on the government identification truly and correctly identifies the purchaser and the purchaser's current address;
- That the prospective purchaser understands that signing another person's name to such certification is illegal;
- That the sale of tobacco products to individuals under the legal minimum purchase age is illegal in [Name of State]; and
- That the purchase of tobacco products by individuals under the legal minimum purchase age is illegal in [Name of State].